Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tuesday {Ten}

IMG_1386
I am loving the Hipstamatic app on my iPhone so that’s what my Tuesday {Ten} is all about today!  Not so great on fireworks, but I still loved this one!
IMG_1431
Mexican Petunias mixed in a pot of lizard’s tails and elephant ears….it has been so hot for so long here that really none of the outside plants are doing well.  One day of missed watering and they would die.  The hanging pots are not doing well at all, even with watering a few times a day, they wilt really fast.
IMG_1432
My three kitty cats are doing OK though, they get to come in sometimes and they sleep a lot in the garage which has a concrete floor.  You can see the three cats here—Mama Kitty, Baby Kitty (both yellow) and then at the very top of the picture you can see that white fur ball Frosty!
IMG_1434
I have to admit that I am not too interested in getting out there in the sun myself.  I was out briefly today to add more water in the water garden and I was dripping wet when I came in.  I guzzled down an entire bottle of PowerAde Zero and got up close and personal with an ice pack.  I just don’t tolerate the heat like I used to, plus I just had surgery last week, so I am extra vulnerable to this heat. 
IMG_1436
Mosaic pot with an earthen ware gazing ball inside.  The temp has been close to 100 for 11 days now, and I just read we will have one day in the next ten with the high below 90 and that is supposed to be 89 that particular day.  We need rain bad and we need a few days of temps in the 80s. 
IMG_1438
Black eyed Susans are pretty heat tolerant. 
IMG_1440
The first bloom of the obedient plant, not sure if it has another name, but they are really interesting plants.  The blooms are a soft blue color.
IMG_1442
Angel wing begonia blooms…I love these plants and they have such pretty blooms.  My great Aunt Eunial had one of these that she kept inside I think all year round.   I do know that sometimes she took it to the basement for the winter and didn’t water it much but it always survived.  She had a way with plants, especially African violets, they were all over her house, especially her kitchen.  She also had a way with angel food cake, hers would be so tall and fluffy, like cotton candy.  That’s what she brought to every family get together!
IMG_1443
This is what happened when you push your pumpkin over the edge of the deck and let’s say, just leave it there for the rest of your life!  Curious to see if it will bear fruit!  It has a lot of blooms!
IMG_1445
Zinnias are seemingly thriving this year…my sister Sarah gave me two packets of seeds earlier this year and they cannot stop growing and blooming! 
IMG_1448
Glad something likes this humid heat!
e136188c
Stay cool,
Ellen

2 comments:

Delaney said...

Cool pics!

mosey said...

you have a beautiful garden! :)