Sunday, February 20, 2011

New Job, New Jewelry Needs!

OK, so I have a new job...where I work five days a week instead of the three days a week that I have worked for most of the last 25 years.  So these days are 8 hour days instead of my former 12 hour shifts, so I love it.  But truthfully not having four days off a week has limited my crafting time!
I have been a nurse for 30+ years and have always been a bedside nurse...until now!  I am an office nurse now, on the phone a lot (so I got me a great ear phone thingy now so my neck hopefully won't be so sore at the end of the day). 
I have my name on the door--first time every!  For that matter, first time to have a door or an office or desk...well you get the idea.   So that brings me to the next issue.  Now I can dress up and wear jewelry...I have some nice costume jewelry, some I have made too.  But it has been such a hassle to find necklaces here....
Everything is just junked into this drawer.  Necklaces are tangled, earrings are stuck in bracelets, earrings are solo...it's a big mess!
I found three necklace/jewelry trees on etsy that I liked....
I really like this one because it is so different
And I like this one for it's simplicity...
This one is even simpler and is smaller, taking up less space.
But I had other plans...I had more wall space than horizontal area for a tree.
I had been saving some porcelain knobs over the years and had three different kinds and sizes.  I had a board that was 1/2 x 2 x 24".  I painted the board with a greenish color for the primer coat.
And another coat of a robin's egg blue...
I drilled some holes and decided on how to arrange the knobs. Some were kinda beat up...
so I distressed the paint job and it looks great!
I found the square birds nest plate at Hobby Lobby for $1.34.  Not sure why it was so cheap, but I snagged it and ran!
The knobs on my dresser are white porcelain too....
So, for $8 I made this great jewelry holder.  The paint samples were 3.99 each so that's where all my money went!
And it is such a functional project...I look forward to just pulling a necklace off and wearing it without having to untangle it!
I think the some of the tops of the knobs are copper. 
Some of them came off my Goodwill desk makeover...
I love how the blue in the birds eggs match the back of the jewelry holder.


29 comments:

Marie C. said...

Oh my -- I *love* this idea! And my sister, who is obsessed with cute door knobs, will adore it. I am sharing this with her. Thank you for posting such inspirational creativity!

jess said...

very cute idea! i have mine on a bulletin board with long push pins:) excited to see you this week!!

Kim's Treasures said...

Congratulations on your great new job!!! It sounds wonderful! Love your new project, I hate searching for my jewelry, it looks like the one you pictured, grrr. I need to make one of these!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I could use one just like that!!!

Blessings,
Kathy

Jill said...

What a beautiful jewellery holder! Congratulations on your new job too! It's nice to have a change sometimes!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Doreen said...

This is such a pretty and practical craft! And you get to show off your necklaces at the same time.

stevewckrt said...

very cute idea! i have mine on a bulletin board with long push pins:) excited to see you this week!!
http://www.jewellerycorner.com
Antique jewelry, a term applied to jewelry over a hundred years old, is now a favorite with the prospective brides, too.

annies home said...

those trees are adorable and looks like they helped you get it all organized

Unknown said...

Very Cute Idea!

Cindy said...

What a great idea. Tangled jewelry drives one crazy.

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

Great idea! Thanks for linking up to Ten Buck Tuesday!

www.youngnester.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

I love this idea! I might even give it a try. I'm lacking space so a wall hanging and with adorable knobs is even cuter and looks so clean! Very cool.

Sandra Toro said...

Beautiful nice job, you are right I done something similar with a Malma mirror and is very nice!!:-)

Pamela said...

How creative. I love it. I could use one in my bathroom for towels...

New follower from Wedensday Wanderings.

Jenna said...

super cute and functional, love it!

c.w.frosting said...

Gorgeous and functional too! I love pretty knobs. Have fun accessorizing for the new job!

-caroline
http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com

. said...

My favorite kind of craft....beautiful and functional!! :)

I have all my necklaces on cup hooks on the back of my bedroom door...it has been fabulous being able to see them all. You actually use them when you can see them...now isn't that a novel thought. LOL

creativejewishmom/Sara said...

very nice! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, and all the best with the new job!

nest of posies said...

looks awesome!

i sooooooooooo need to do this for my collection of treasures as well.

thanks for the idea!

happy weekend.
kellie

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

What a great idea! What a steal at Hobby Lobby. Congrats on the new job, too. Thanks for linking up with Sweets This Week!

Have a great weekend.

Sarah

Karen said...

Great job with your jewellery hanger. Hope you are enjoying wearing your jewellery to work.

Anonymous said...

I love this...thanks for sharing on Sugar Bananas. I have a brand new linky party on my blog too if you'd like to join :) I'd love to see you there!

Jessica
http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

Megan Gunyan said...

Congrats on your new job, Ellen! It sounds sophisticated and very smart.
I love your knob collection! What a fun way to display it!

Sherryd said...

What a thrifty idea! Love the knobs!

Anonymous said...

My button had a boo-boo but a band-aid has been added...please replace your code with the current code on my page. The new button is smaller too...

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jessica

Unknown said...

This is soo adorable! Love the color and the cute knobs you used.. Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

The DIY Spot said...

Cute knobs, pretty color!

Jenn Erickson said...

Ellen, congratulations in your new chapter in your career. It sounds like the hospital is very lucky to have you (and knows it too).

Even though you're busier with work, you still pulled off a top-notch project! I love the porcelain knobs and the birds' egg blue that you chose! Practical and pretty too!


Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."

Jenn/Rook No. 17

Crystal said...

I love this and will be featuring it tomorrow. Congrats on the new job!